Join Michele Vallisneri for an in-depth discussion in this video Name fads, part of Introduction to Data Analysis with Python.
- Our last task in this project…is to identify name fads.…That is, popular names that appear suddenly…and then fade away quickly.…As we do so, we will see how to…group data with pandas groupby,…how to compute aggregations,…and how to combine Boolean masks.…Let's go to the IPython notebook.…Let's select the 07_05 fads begin exercise file.…We will continue with our work from the last videos.…Let's select cell and run all the cells.…
Let us look at this plot for the popularity…of the top six girl names between 1985 and 1995.…Most of these names were only popular…for a relatively short period.…This prompts the question of how…we can identify a name fad.…A fad will have a certain spikiness to the plot,…more like Britney here than Elizabeth.…What we need to do is to compute a single number…for each name that will tell us how spiky the plot will be.…
However the number should be insensitive to…the total number of appearances for a given name.…After all, a small, not very popular fad is still a fad.…It turns out that the trick to computing the spikiness…
- Writing and running Python in iPython
- Using Python lists and dictionaries
- Creating NumPy arrays
- Indexing and slicing in NumPy
- Downloading and parsing data files into NumPy and Pandas
- Using multilevel series in Pandas
- Aggregating data in Pandas
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Installation and Setup
2. Refresher: Data Containers in Python
3. Word Anagrams in Python
4. Introduction to NumPy
5. Weather Data with NumPy
6. Introduction to Pandas
7. Baby Names with Pandas
Next steps1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.