Join Michele Vallisneri for an in-depth discussion in this video Installing the Anaconda Python distribution, part of Python: Data Analysis.
- For this course, we need a working, updated installation…of Python and a few third party packages,…including iPython and the iPython Notebook.…If you already use Python and you know…how to install extra packages, you are free to do so.…Otherwise, I suggest you follow me…and install the Anaconda Python distribution,…which includes everything that we need.…So we go to the Continuum.io website,…find a downloads page,…scroll down to our platform of choice,…we will download the Graphical Installer…for the Python 3 version of Anaconda.…
Once the download has completed,…we go find a file, double-click on it to install,…and go through a standard installation.…We can install only for this user or for all of them.…Throughout this course,…we're going to be using Python version 3.4.…Although Python 2.7 is still a useful tool…and is supported by the Python Software Foundation,…there is no reason not to use the newer version now,…which fixes several problems with Python 2…and introduces several new features.…
The installation will take a few minutes.…
- Writing and running Python in iPython
- Using Python lists and dictionaries
- Creating NumPy arrays
- Indexing and slicing in NumPy
- Downloading and parsing data files into NumPy and Pandas
- Using multilevel series in Pandas
- Aggregating data in Pandas
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: The course shows how to download files from FTP and web servers using Python 3.X. How do I do the same thing with Python 2.7?
A: First import urllib, then use urllib.urlretrieve(URL,filename). For instance, to download the stations.txt files used in the chapter 5 video “Downloading and parsing data files,” you’d do urllib.urlretrieve(‘ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/ghcn/daily/ghcnd-stations.txt','stations.txt').
1. Installation and Setup
2. Refresher: Data Containers in Python
3. Word Anagrams in Python
4. Introduction to NumPy
5. Weather Data with NumPy
6. Introduction to Pandas
7. Baby Names with Pandas
Next steps1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.