Join Michele Vallisneri for an in-depth discussion in this video Finding anagrams, part of Introduction to Data Analysis with Python.
- Now that we have a list of words,…we can proceed to look for anagrams.…Let's go back to the Python notebook,…and let's load up the exercise file…for Video 03_03_.…Since we're going to pick up…where we left in the last video,…I've copied all the content of that notebook…into the current one.…You need to execute all the cells in this notebook…by selecting the Cell menu and then Run All.…Compare the resulting sorted strings.…These are known as signatures.…We can try the sorted functional strings…and see what it returns.…
Sorted returns a list of individual characters.…That's okay, we can still compare those.…So let's see if sorted of lives…equals sorted of elvis.…It does, so these two words are anagrams of each other.…On the other hand, sorted of hate…would not match sorted of love.…So the two words are not anagrams.…To make things simpler,…we'll use the String Join function…to turn the list of individual characters…back into a string.…
Let's try it out.…That's correct, the Join method may look a little strange.…We're calling it on the empty string…
- Writing and running Python in iPython
- Using Python lists and dictionaries
- Creating NumPy arrays
- Indexing and slicing in NumPy
- Downloading and parsing data files into NumPy and Pandas
- Using multilevel series in Pandas
- Aggregating data in Pandas
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: The course shows how to download files from FTP and web servers using Python 3.X. How do I do the same thing with Python 2.7?
A: First import urllib, then use urllib.urlretrieve(URL,filename). For instance, to download the stations.txt files used in the chapter 5 video “Downloading and parsing data files,” you’d do urllib.urlretrieve(‘ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/ghcn/daily/ghcnd-stations.txt','stations.txt').
1. Installation and Setup
2. Refresher: Data Containers in Python
3. Word Anagrams in Python
4. Introduction to NumPy
5. Weather Data with NumPy
6. Introduction to Pandas
7. Baby Names with Pandas
Next steps1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.