Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video The special case of keying blond hair, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] Blond hair on a green-screen…is an especially difficult keying problem…because the blond hair has a lot of green in it…which can fool the keyer.…Blond hair is also very fine,…and to make things even worse, it's also translucent,…conducting light.…Here we'll look at how to use a three channel luma key…to isolate even the finest blond hairs.…I wanna start by showing you an interesting feature…of Keylight.…Now Keylight's reputation is based on the fact…that they can do the best possible job…at fine detail like hair.…
So we'll start with this green-screen.…We'll do our noise suppression, of course.…Down here and comping the key inside Keylight,…I'm just bringing in my background,…right here, and I'm letting Keylight do the comp,…and I got a very good level of detail for the hair.…Now this is the interesting thing I wanted to show you.…If we take Keylight's key and copy it over here…to our own spill suppressed image there.…So now this is my spill suppressed…with Keylight's key behind it.…
Then we do our usual Premult,…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.