Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video The nature of grain and noise, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Host] There are important differences…between keying a green screen versus a blue screen.…One issue is how the grain structure impacts the key.…So let's take a few minutes…to first look at grain and noise in film and video.…Unfortunately, the images I'm using here are proprietary,…so I can't share them with you…and they're not in the exercise files,…but we can look at their grain structures together.…So, let's start by taking a look at a 2K film scan.…So I'm gonna hit play.…
I've cropped out a small region in each plate…and scaled it up so we can study…the grain structure closely.…First, we'll take a look at the red channel.…See I put a little letter down here so you can always tell…which channel I'm in.…So there's the amount of noise in the red channel.…The green channel,…and the blue channel.…So we can see right away…the film grain is much more intense in the blue channel.…Let me stop the playback.…It's not only more intense in amplitude,…it's also larger in size.…So we look at the red, the green, and the blue.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nukewith Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
NUKE Compositing: Sci-Fi Force Fieldwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.