Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video The basic uber key composite, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] In this first example…of a basic Uber Key Workflow.…We'll build a key using a single keyer…for the edge key then process it to create…a core matte and a garbage matte.…The core matte will provide the solid core…for the edge key and the garbage matte…will clean up the surrounding backing region.…Our basic setup is, right here is where our one keyer is…and we're gonna process it to make that core matte…and the garbage matte and our Uber Key will come out…right there.…We're doing a very simple de-spill…and then over here is a simple comp…over the background.…
So let's push in, take a peek.…Starting here with the Keylight node.…So here's our fundamental problem.…We pulled our key, and if I gamma up the viewer,…we can say I've got some contamination…in the backing region and we gamma down…and I've got a lack of solid core in my keys.…So gotta fix both of these problems.…Viewer back to normal.…So starting here from the keyer,…we go to this erode node and that will erode…my key down 'cause it has to be everywhere…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.