Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with a real clean plate, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Narrator] There's definitely a remote possibility…that you'll be given an actual clean plate shot on set.…So in this video we'll see how it affects…the screen correction workflow.…You also may prefer to retain the original grain…from your green-screen or blue-screen,…and not use de-grained images for other…than pulling the key.…No problem.…We'll see how to do that, too.…First up, let's take a look at…a real clean plate.…Here is a little action sequence here.…And shot on set was an actual clean plate.…
The camera is locked off,…and they just roll film, or roll video, in this case.…And you get a perfect match…which is ideal for the screen correction process.…However, keep in mind,…since it's original footage,…it has to be de-grained as well.…So we do the de-graining for the original clip,…and we de-grain the clean plate.…Because these two plates need to be…as identical as possible,…with the only difference being the characters.…
We then do our soft key, as usual, for both of them.…Again the Constant plate, where we do the subtraction…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.