Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Which keyer is best?, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Lecturer] The answer to the burning question,…which keyer is best is all of them.…Nuke has four world class keyers…but each has its own strength and weaknesses.…So the right answer is to know which keyer to use…for which situation.…So we're gonna take a look at the kinds of things…that each keyer here is best suited for.…Let's start with Ultimatte.…Ultimatte is a colored difference keyer…developed way back in 1976.…It's great strength is smoke and shadows.…
And Ultimatte is the only keyer that actually has…a clean plate input, it's right here.…So if you have a clean plate for your green-screen,…you can get an amazing composite with Ultimatte.…The problem is in the real world, you are almost never…gonna get a clean plate.…One other unique feature of Ultimatte is…that it does have a built-in color correction capability…which none of the other keyers do.…Okay, let's look at the IBK Keyer next.…
The IBK Keyer is an image-based keyer.…And it's actually optimized for situations like this…where you have different colored panels all over the screen.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.