Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video When to use edge blending, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] The keying process tends…to produce unnaturally sharp edges around the comp.…So edge blending is the solution.…The idea is to run a tiny blur…just around the edge of the foreground object…to blend its outer edge with the background plate,…making a more photo realistic comp.…First we'll roll our own edge blend operation,…then go see how the Nuke EdgeBlur node works.…So let's take a look at rolling our own edge blend.…We're starting here with a background plate…and a pre-multiplied, keyed,…despilled and color-corrected foreground ready to comp.…
So we comp that over the background,…then we come back to our foreground object,…taking its alpha channel and giving it a blur.…Now notice it's got a very small blur blur too.…The idea behind this blur as I toggle it on and off…is I'm actually widening this edge.…That'll give me a slightly wider edge mask.…Then, in this color look-up node,…we actually create the edge mask.…Whoa! How do we do that?…Let's take a look.…
Let's open up the color look-up node.…A little more desk space please.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.