Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Using garbage mattes to save time, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] You must never adjust the keyer…to clear out the noise in the backing region…because that will lose edge detail…and harden the edges all over the key.…Instead, you adjust the keyer just enough…to get the noise away from your key,…then add a garbage matte to clear the backing region.…Here's what I mean.…Let's push in here to this example.…Now in this case we're gonna be doing self matting…where I'm gonna use the key that was created…by keylight, the initial keyer,…and use that key to create the garbage matte.…
So this is the noise in the backing region…that I wanna clear out.…So I just attached a grade node to the output…of the keylight, let's open that guy up.…We'll set it to talk to the alpha channel.…Now to clear out this noise, I'm gonna raise…the blackpoint until it's all gone, there.…Now sometimes when you do that…you can open up holes in your core matte.…So if that happens, you wanna slide your viewer gamma down…lookin' for any holes in your core matte.…
You then grab your white point…and pull that down to firm up your matte.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.