- [Narrator] Okay, the CP input, that's your clean plate.…GM, that's the garbage matte.…And hidden over here is HM, which is your holdout matte.…So how do we use the garbage matte?…Well, looking at the original blue screen,…we can see that blue screen doesn't cover…some portions of the background.…So we make a garbage matte that covers…that part of the screen that we want to clean up.…And then we hook that into the GM…or garbage matte input of Ultimatte and voila,…get a nice clean plate.…
The holdout matte here, let's see how that's used,…let me move this up here to reveal that, okay.…Let's take a look at the alpha channel of this gal here.…And we can see that her shawl is extremely transparent.…So let's say that we needed to do a holdout matte…to seal that in.…So we would draw the holdout matte with the Roto node,…and then hook it up to the HM,…holdout matte input of Ultimatte and boom.…A nice solid matte.…Of course, you're going to have to roto that…for the whole shot, but nevertheless,…that's how you hook in your holdout matte.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.