Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Ultimatte: Matte tools and shadows, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Voiceover] After you have the overlay adjusted…for the best coverage of the backing screen,…the next step is to use the matte tools…to adjust the matte density.…The matte density is adjusted with the matte tools…and the density tab.…The matte tools allow you to select pixels from the screen…while the density tab allows you to adjust…the density parameters.…We'll start by setting the viewer to the alpha channel…so we can see our matte…and turn the viewer gamma way down…so we can see we've got some transparency here.…This should be a solid matte.…
So the way we fix that is we come up to the matte plus tool,…meaning increase the matte density…and do an alt+cmd click and drag and wallah.…Next we'll turn the zero gamma up…so we can take a look over here…at the umbrella which we wanted some transparency.…So if I liked to increase the transparency…I will then select the matte minus tool…and again alt+cmd click in order to say…reduce the density of the matte in this area.…
Okay, I'm going to undo all of that and home the viewer…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.