Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Ultimatte: Basic setup, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] We'll start by taking a look at the basic…setup for an Ultimatte composite.…The first thing we wanna know is how to connect things up,…so if you'll select the read note for your bluescreen,…you can go up to the keyer tab,…select the ultimatte node, and it'll hook itself in…to the foreground input.…Here we go.…The BG is the background input.…We'll connect that up here.…We'll take a look at these others in just a minute.…Now I'm using a checkerboard as a test background.…I've set the floor mat to match my foreground image,…and I've set the size of the squares to 16.…
Using a checkerboard like this…is a better way for getting your initial key setup,…rather than doing it over the actual background,…which has different colors and luminocities…that may hide defects.…So let's take a quick look at the tabs…in the Ultimatte node.…The first tab, Ultimatte, is used, basically,…to set the screen color, and it has a few other controls,…which we'll come back to.…The density tab is used to dial in the density of the mat,…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nukewith Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
NUKE Compositing: Sci-Fi Force Fieldwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.