- [Narrator] Keyers often fail…to key all parts of the target equally well,…so in those situations,…it's necessary to pull two or more keys…and merge them together.…The same thing can happen with spill suppression,…where just one part of the target has problems.…So again, two or more despill operations may be needed.…Here we see how to join…those multiple efforts together…into a single uberkey, and a unified, despilled image.…So let's cruise in here…and start by taking a look at our split soft key.…
Here at the main key, we switch to the alpha channel,…we can see that we've got some noise out here,…and of course we have our transparency problems here,…but the real thing that we want…is some better hair detail.…We can see here that the hair detail…has frankly been clobbered by our denoise routine.…The problem is that light bits of hair…are down literally in the noise level,…so the denoise or degrain routine…can remove the fine hair details,…but having it denoised or degrained…is extremely helpful for getting a good key in general.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.