Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Tracking marker removal techniques, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Steve] When planning a marker removal shot…there are always two critical questions to ask yourself.…First, how do I isolate the marker?…Two, how am I gonna remove it?…There are also three issues to look at…when planning your marker removal strategy.…One, do I have uneven lighting in the backing region?…Invariably, the answer is yes.…Do I have a moving camera?…And does the talent cross the markers?…So let's take a look at the first technique…that I call track and clone.…
We'll push in here, the reason we're tracking…is of course, we have a moving shot.…So I'm only gonna do five frames here,…'cause that's all we need to make the point.…So the first step of course was to track them all,…and I've already done the tracking work here.…Now what we want to do is use a RotoPaint node…to use a clone brush to paint out the markers.…Now a clone brush, you say…"Why do I wanna use a clone brush?"…Because the lighting of this backing is uneven.…
So green screens invariably have uneven lighting,…so if you tried to paste a solid color…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.