Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Techniques for better motion blur, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Voiceover] Motion blur is a chronic keying problem…for two reasons:…first, the keyer will often crop it short,…and second, the color of the motion blur…frequently doesn't look right.…The screen correction techniques we saw in chapter two…could solve the problem of cropping the motion blur short.…To get the motion blur colors right,…we can use a modified version…of the edge extension techniques…we saw in chapter 10.…So here is our test case.…Lot of motion blur here, on this arm,…this arm, and down here on the sleeve,…so this will be a terrific problem to solve,…because it has a variety of…different colors of motion blur.…
Now the setup here is I've animated…this background color here,…so that we can test our motion blur solution…over several different colors of brightness.…We need to do that because even though…your background may not actually change color,…there will be dark and light regions…in the same background plate…and the motion blur has to look correct…over all the possible different colors.…So, let's take a look at what we've got here.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.