Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Steve Wright's adaptive despill, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] So far, we've seen that no matter…how you adjust the despill,…there'll be some region of the comp…where it just doesn't look right.…So I sat down…with a stack of green screen and blue screen plates,…and developed a more sophisticated approach…to despill that actually adapts to the background image…rather than producing a single color or illuminants.…I call it Adaptive Despill…and I think you're really going to like this.…We'll cruise in.…Starting with our green screen.…Of course we do our obligatory denoise.…
And then we do our despill operation.…Again, it does not matter what you use…because what we want is the spill map.…And we're gonna get that just like in the last video…by subtracting this from the original green screen,…with a merge set to minus,…and there is my spill map.…Next, we'll take that spill map…and shuffle it into all three channels.…And again, we've got spill in the core…and we wanna clear that out…so that we just have the edge spill out here.…
And we're gonna do that with this core mat.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.