Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Spill suppression with gizmos, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] In the previous video,…the simple rules for despilling…did not give such great results…so here we'll take a look at a couple of gizmos…that are more sophisticated and do a better job.…Feel free to copy them out of this Nuke script…and use them for your compositing work.…These are actually groups that you can copy…and use as-is or save out as gizmos.…Let's start by taking a look at my Unspill gizmo.…Now this is an idea that I wrote in my book,…Digital Compositing for Film and Video several years ago.…
The idea was at the time all the despill algorithms…would pull green or blue out of the picture,…well, that darkens the picture,…especially with a green screen…because green makes up 70% of the luminance.…Drop the green, you drop a lot of luminance.…So I wanted to figure out a way…instead of subtracting green, add red and blue…because that's another way to get rid of the green spill.…So let's take a look.…We'll start here with this blue screen.…First thing we do is, we set up…what the screen color is, of course.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.