Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Special keying techniques for smoke, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Narrator] It can be very difficult…to retain all of the fine detail when keying smoke.…Here we'll look at three workflows for keying smoke.…What we'll see is that for white smoke,…we can beat the keyer if we roll our own key.…So let's take a look at our setup here.…We've got this blue screen plate of white smoke.…Right here.…And we're going over to our Denoise node.…Now here's the first tip.…
Be sure you don't overdo the Denoise amount.…Of course, always remember to set the type of plate you have…whether it's film or digital camera,…'cause that changes how much it does.…But I dialed it back to the minimum level I needed,…because as you increase the Denoise,…you start losing the fine detail of your smoke.…So, don't wanna do that.…Okay, so let's take a look at first,…what happens if we try to use Keylight…right out of the box.…So I'm gonna hook up to this Keylight node.…
Open it up, turn on my dropper,…shift, alt, command and control, and sample the background.…Switch to the Alpha channel.…Now again, I'm gonna raise my viewer gamma,…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.