Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Soft key/hard key with luminance adjusted despill, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Lecturer] The Soft key, Hard key technique…builds an Uber key by combining an inner and outer key…from different keyers.…This can be different types of keyers…or the same keyer with different adjustments.…While we're here,…we'll also add a luminance adjusted despill,…then top it off with an AddMix composite…just to mix things up a bit.…So let's push in here and take a look at our Soft key.…So for a Soft key, Keylight is my favorite keyer…because it's always good for a soft edge,…and not so good for a good solid core.…
So we're gonna use this as the edge key…and gonna create a garbage matte from it.…So for that I'm just going to use the old Erode node,…just the Erode Blur again.…And then multiply those two together.…Where this one is zero,…it's going to clear the other one to zero.…And wherever this one is one…it's going to leave the other one alone.…So now, all of my contamination back here is gone.…
Okay, so there is my Soft key and my garbage matte.…Let's take a look at the Hard key.…Now for the Hard key, I chose Primatte.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nukewith Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
NUKE Compositing: Sci-Fi Force Fieldwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.