Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Sculpting your key edges, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Narrator] Compositing green-screen and blue-screen shots…is all about the edges.…The core and the backing region is easy,…but we're constantly wrestling with edges…that give away a bad comp.…Color space is vast and there are many…possible causes for bad edges,…so we'll need several solutions.…In this first video we'll focus on the edges…of the alpha channel.…Here, we'll see the three different ways…that you can sweeten the edges of your comp…by refining the edges of the alpha channel.…The basic problem that I want to solve is way up here.…
I've got this hideous discolored edge,…and in general I want to tuck in the alpha channel.…We can see the alpha channel right here.…In fact, if we push in real tight…we can see that the discoloration starts…right about there and it follows my alpha channel out.…If I tuck in my alpha channel, I'll tuck in that edge.…Let's get back out here a little bit.…Here's my set-up.…I've got a green-screen plate here.…
I use keylight to pull a key.…Again, it does not matter what Keyer,…make your best key.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nukewith Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
NUKE Compositing: Sci-Fi Force Fieldwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.