Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Screen-correction workflow, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Steve] The bane of all keyers…is a nonuniform backing screen, like this example.…It requires you to pull on the keyer adjustments so hard…that it chokes in on the key,…resulting in hard edges and a loss of fine detail.…I use screen correction to fix this all to common problem.…It replaces any irregular green or blue backing screen…with a perfectly uniform backing color…that every keyer will love.…With screen correction,…you can make this look like this,…and your keyer will just love keying this.…
Let me show you how it's done.…First, let's degrain it…using Nuke's Denoise node.…I love the Denoise node.…It is so cool.…I'll sample up here, and we can see there…what a beautiful job it's done.…Okay, done with that.…Now, let's pull the key on this…with the Keylight node and see the results.…So I'll come over to my keyer tab and select a Keylight.…I'm using Keylight because it's fast and works really good.…
And I'm going to sample my greenscreen area here.…And we switch to the Alpha channel…so you can see the variation in the backing color…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.