Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Retaining shadows with screen corrections, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Narrator] Using just a keyer, you may have to pull…one or more separate keys to get good shadows.…With screen correction, you can actually adjust the…shadows and avoid multiple keys.…Further, there are techniques you can use to pull…clean shadows even if the floor surface lighting is uneven.…First, let's talk about adjusting the shadow density.…So this shot is all set up here.…I have this clean plate to simplify the…whole screen correction process.…And here is our corrected screen.…So you can see the original plate and the…corrected screen both have good shadows.…
Then, we'll come over here and take a look…at the composite and it's got nice light shadows too…that look rather similar to the original source plate.…But let's say that I'd like to adjust the…density of these shadows in the composite.…The key is right here in the constant node.…By making this constant node darker,…we can make the shadows darker.…So let's open up the constant node, and I want to…get the floating slider, so let's do a command…or control click on the little beach ball so…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nukewith Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
NUKE Compositing: Sci-Fi Force Fieldwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.