Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Recoloring the RGB edges, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Steve] Sometimes you don't want to erode…your alpha channel, because you'll lose…important edge detail.…In that case, you can try solving your bad edges…by recoloring the edge pixels directly.…So here's how to do it.…Let's take a look at our setup first.…We start with our green screen.…We go to Keylight and just pull a basic key.…Then we do our spill suppression,…again using any spill suppression you like,…then we copy in our alpha channel.…So here, we have our key, our uber key,…however you care to make that,…with our spill suppressed foreground,…however you'd care to make that.…
So what we want to do then is follow that with a Premult,…and already you can see I have some edge issues here.…And then we Merge that over the background,…and there is my edge problem, I wanna fix this.…Again I do not wanna mess with my alpha channel,…so we're gonna do this by just dialing in the edge pixels.…All right so how we do that is we slip a Grade node in here,…open that up, and if I hook my viewer directly to…this Grade node, which is now attached to…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.