Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Keying on saturation, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] While an object you want to isolate…might share the same hue and brightness…with other objects in the frame,…it might be separable based on its saturation.…Here, we will see how the saturation keyer works,…where to find it, and how it might be used…to isolate an object for special processing.…Once again, I have my color wheel up here,…and as you know, out here on the furthest rim,…the saturation is one point oh,…and you can see that right down there,…and as you move into the center,…the saturation drops to zero.…
So, where will we find the saturation keyer?…Well, let's come over here to the keyer tab,…and get the keyer node.…It's buried inside the keyer node.…There we are.…So, we'll turn around and set this for saturation key.…Now, we know that the saturation goes from zero to one,…from the center put to the perimeter,…so if we check the alpha channel,…we'll find that the saturation keyer…has made an alpha channel that goes from zero to one.…How do we know where to set our key?…Let's say that we wanted to key…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.