Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Keying reflections off of glass techniques, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] Reflections off glass…can be difficult to key.…To get the best results, you'll usually need…to use a separate key optimized for the reflections,…then set up separate controls over density and color…so you can dial in the exact look you want.…So let's take a look at a typical workflow,…starting in here with our green-screen.…First up, we pull a hard key with Keylight.…Now the idea here is we want…to punch out all the reflections,…'cause we're gonna do them in a separate key.…
Here I've set up Keylight to actually do the composite,…just as an expedient for showing the workflow.…Next, we'll start back up here, cruise over here…to look at the very important spill suppression.…Now I used PF Spill Kill…because PF Spill Kill, which you can download…right here off of pixelfudger.com,…allows you to dial in the backing color…with great precision.…It also does not suck all the chroma out of the foreground,…when many other spill suppressions will do that to you.…
So what I've done here,…let me set up a little sample window,…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nukewith Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
NUKE Compositing: Sci-Fi Force Fieldwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.