- [Narrator] The problem with semi-transparency is…that it's difficult to dial in separately…from the rest of the comp so it requires a custom treatment.…Compositing outside the Keyer allows you to isolate…the semi-transparent element and give it…that custom treatment.…So here's the setup.…We've got this lovely green screen.…And this veil which has lots of different…transparency all over it, so it'd be a good contest…for our semi-transparency challenge.…Next, we go to Keylight and just pull the basic key.…
Now that key goes through this Grade node here,…which at the moment has no adjustments.…We'll return to that in just a minute.…We're going to use this to dial in our semi-transparency.…From here, the key goes to this Copy node,…where we have brought in our spill-suppressed background.…Next we do our Premult and then merge over the background.…And I put in this fine detail checkerboard pattern…so we can see lots of detail behind our transparency.…The first thing I wanted to point out…was the surprising effect of spill suppression…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.