Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Keying with just one channel, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] When looking for a keying strategy…to isolate an object, the first thing to do is to…analyze each color channel.…Sometimes, one of the color channels alone will present…a good a good keying opportunity.…The second thing to do is to convert the RGB image…to another Colorspace and check those channels as well.…So, let's start off with the inspection phase.…Now, what I like to do is do a denoise,…because that will smooth out the edges of our key.…Now here, I've got the RGB image and I'm showing you…that the RGB channels of the viewer are the same as the…RGB channels of the image,…which is not true when we switch over here to an HSV image.…
Now, all I did was I took a Colorspace node and selected…HSV as the output.…That's all it takes.…But now, you have to be clear…on how the channels are mapped.…So the HSV image is mapped with the hue to the red channel…of the Viewer, saturation to the green, and value,…or brightness, to the blue channel.…So if I punch up the red channel in the Viewer,…I'm looking at the hue channel of the HSV image.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.