Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Keying on hue, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] The luma key keys on the brightness…or luminance of an object…so a hue key keys on an object's color or hue.…While the hue key is often not selective enough…to isolate an object by itself,…it can be combined with other keys to become very selective.…Now all of the different key techniques…demonstrated in this chapter can be combined…with the keys produced by the various keyers,…like key light and prima, in order to make the uber key.…So let's see how the hue key works.…I'm going to add a hue key…from the keyer tab right here, HueKeyer.…
Hooks in.…Take a look at what we got up here.…Now going horizontally is the hue color bars…and they correlate to the hues…that I have here in my color circle.…Now the hue is reported right down here,…right down here in the viewer window…and hue is measured from zero,…as I cruise all the way around and around to 360.…
So hue is in terms of a number between zero and 360.…And important to note in just a moment…as I cruise into the center,…watch my saturation values here.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.