Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video KEYLIGHT: Viewing status and multipass keying, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] Now we can take a look at the screen…replace functions in Keylight right here.…The purpose of this is whenever the matte…is processed, it can introduce edge discolorations.…And this is designed to address that.…Let's take a look at how it works.…Let's go to the view and punch up the status display.…You notice that we see the typical status,…pure white, pure black, and some gray pixels.…However, when I turn on the inside mask,…I get these blue pixels here.…
This is Keylight telling me that these pixels…were affected by the inside mask.…Next, we'll turn on the outside mask…and those are turned red.…That identifies them as being affected by the outside mask.…Last, I'll adjust the screen dilate…and look what happens here.…I get these green pixels.…This is Keylight telling you…that these edges have been affected…by a screen dilate operation…and now there's discoloration.…This is what we're going to fix…with the screen replace function right here.…
We'll switch the view to composite,…and we can see the hideous edge.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.