Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video How spill suppression works, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Narrator] The despill operation requires two steps.…First, a map of the spill is created…that I cleverly named the spill map.…Second, the spill map is applied to the green screen…with some operation, like subtraction,…to remove the spill.…Let's take a look at a very simple despill operation,…simply taking green minus the red.…Let me hook up my sampler node here.…We'll open that up,…sample the frame.…
The sampler node cuts a line right across the picture…here and plots the RGB values.…This over here on the left is the left side…of the green-screen.…The section in the middle is our character.…The section on the right is the right side…of the green-screen.…We can see that in the backing region,…the green is much greater than the red,…which is a good green-screen.…Notice that the green is lower than the red…on the character.…This is very important.…What I've done is I've set up a simple operation here,…where we're going to subtract the green channel…from the red channel, and then make a spill map with that,…and subtract that from the picture to see what happens.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.