Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video How to retain all of the depth of field, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] Keying a green-screen with depth of field…offers the same basic challenges as the motion blur…we saw in the previous video.…Again, the keyer can crop it short,…and the de-spilled colors can look quite off.…With minor modifications,…we can use the same edge extension techniques here, too.…Again, in this case,…we are also using that same animated background,…so that we can test our work…over several different colors, or luminances.…The reason being, while your background may not actually…change brightness, there will be light and dark regions…in the background and the depth of field trick…has to work for all of them.…
So, let's take a look at three setups.…We'll start here with our green-screen,…do our grain suppression,…and here I've just done a garbage matte…by throwing green around the edge for the keyer.…So, I'm using keylight to do the comp.…In fact, I'll put up a little label here for you,…and we'll take a zoom in here.…Maybe that's too much.…So, with keylight, the comp looks pretty darn good…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.