Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video How to prevent despill artifacts, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Narrator] Despill operations can introduce hue shifts…where the despill process changes the color…of certain objects.…It's essential that the competent compositor…always inspect his work to make sure…the despill artifacts have not been introduced.…Here we'll take a look at a couple of ways…to prevent the artifacts.…So let's scoot in here…and look at this roto and protect.…Now, for green screen,…the despill artifact colors…that are gonna get clobbered are the yellows.…
If you're working in blue screens,…then magentas are gonna get hit.…So let's take a look at this spill suppression.…I used the hue correct node here,…I'm not picking on the hue correct node.…All despill operations introduce artifacts.…So the critical issue is to compare…the despilled image to the original.…We can do that by just bouncing…between the two screens…and then looking for hue shifts anywhere…in the keyed area.…And we can see here that our yellow sweater…has turned orange.…
Now, this is an important point.…Even though you see a hue shift,…it could be a major or a minor problem.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.