Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video How to match grade two clips, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Voiceover] You can get a real head start on…grading two plates to color match by…matching their black and white points.…Not only does this set the contrast ratio,…but also adjusts color.…All of this can be done with four clicks in a grade node.…Here's how ya do it.…Here's our set up.…We have this match image here, and we have…this match target there, so I want…this image to match that image.…The bad image is low contrast and very…warm in color and the one I want to match…to is higher contrast and a lot cooler.…
The lighting has changed over the…time of the day between these shots.…This happens all the time, so we have to make…these two clips look good enough…that they could cut back to back.…So we'll start by selecting the…match image and add a grade node.…The first thing I want to do is to set its black point,…so I'm gonna cruise in here to this window,…this looks like a nice candidate for a black point,…and sample this region to set the black point.…That means these code values which are not zero,…you can see down below, look at this,…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.