Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video How to manage grain and noise, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Voiceover] Removing grain or noise…is a fundamental preprocessing technique for keying,…but the grain must not be gone from the final composite.…Here we'll look at three workflows for managing grain.…Now this video is about various grain management workflows…not the denoise node itself.…If you want a refresher on the denoise node…you can go to vimeo and search on denoise tutorial…to find three tutorials by The Foundry.…Let's start by reviewing the uber key workflow.…
You saw this in an earlier movie.…The idea here is…that the green screen is first degrained.…The degrained version goes to the keyers,…who pull just the alpha channel.…The original grainy plate gets spill suppressed…and then color corrected.…Then we copy in our uber key,…do a premolt and then comp it over the background.…So the grain was never removed and the grain stays right…in this data stream right here up to the final composite.…
Okay, that's one workflow.…Let's look at a second workflow,…the remove and restore.…The idea here is we're going to…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.