Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video How to make even more powerful luma keys, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] Building on what we…saw in the previous video, here we'll look…at more advanced techniques, such as building…a custom luma key, and how to…luma key a high-dynamic-range image.…But first we need to know how to cope…with a background gradient that is non-linear,…like most of the gradients in the real world.…So here we have a non-linear gradient.…Here we go, you can see that, in fact,…you can see it better in the sampler mode.…Let me adjust this here a little…bit so I can see my RGB channels.…
So you can see right here that it has this curvature…in the back, it's not a straight line like we saw before.…So let's see what happens when we try to level it…with a straight ramp, as we did before,…and we subtract that from the image.…Let me put my viewer back.…And it straightened it out pretty much,…so let's take a look at this now.…Well but we do have this little dip in the middle,…because it's a non-linear gradient,…and we tried to do a linear fix.…Let's see what happens.…
So we'll come here and we will pull our key,…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nukewith Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
NUKE Compositing: Sci-Fi Force Fieldwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.