- [Steve] Keying a cloud out of…the sky is a delicate operation.…Not only are there lots of wispy edges…and details to be retained, but it's also sitting…on a very uneven backing, namely the sky.…So we've got to even up the sky region…in order to get a fine key, so screen correction to…the rescue, along with a few other tricks.…So let's start by looking at our clean plate.…I'm gonna use a little bit of a different procedure.…Instead of using the IBK color node,…it's a little too crude for this,…so we're gonna use a Keylight node instead.…
So let me open that guy up, and I'm gonna…reset that, and dial it in for you.…So first of all using Shift, Alt, Command or Control…will sample our backing region, check the alpha channel out.…Now I need to clear all of this out to black.…Viewer gamma up, Screen Gain up,…and tragically as I clear out all the backing noise,…I'm also shrinking my wispies.…
Very unfortunate, but that's the physics of the thing.…So I had to do a Screen Gain of 1.38…to clear things out, remember that number.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.