- [Lecturer] Soft comp hard comp is a standard technique…used by compositors everywhere.…The basic idea is to first dial in a soft key…that has great edge detail but not such a solid core.…You lay this over the background, then make a second key…that is harder and fits inside the soft key…and lay it over the first comp to fill in the core…but retain the soft edges from the soft comp.…Okay, got all that?…All right, so let's scooch in here and see what we got.…
There's several approaches to this basic idea…so we're gonna explore all three of them.…So we start with our green screen…and of course we do our D noise.…Now this first key here is a soft key.…So if we look at the alpha channel,…you can see I've cleared out all…the black in the backing region.…We've got lovely edges,…but if I gamma down the viewer, not such a solid core.…Okay, so we lay that over the background…and of course as I gamma up…you can see we've got transparency everywhere.…
But that's fine, that's expected.…Next, we go to this keyer and we pull hard key.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.