Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video How to create a texture key, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Narrator] So far, we've been looking at…rather conventional key: luma key, chroma key,…color difference key, and so on.…Now it's time to look at a very unconventional way…to pull a key, namely,…how to pull a key on bumps and textures.…Here's the theory of operation.…I have this live-action shot,…and like any photographic image,…it's going to be unevenly lit.…So if we try to pull a luma key on this,…this is the result.…And that's because the luma key…strikes a single threshold value,…and everything above appears in the key…and below gets dropped out.…
So with unevenly lit surfaces,…luma keys can't help you.…But with the texture key technique,…we can get a key on all the bumps,…even with the uneven lighting.…I mean, look at that difference there.…Here's how it works.…I made a little graphic for you…to kind of explain the theory.…Here's a cross-section of our picture…showing you the falloff in the lighting from left to right,…plus all the bumps.…What we do, is we use a blur node…to create a second version of the image…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nukewith Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
NUKE Compositing: Sci-Fi Force Fieldwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.