Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video How to cope with bad video, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Narrator] All too often, blue screens and green screens…are shot by DPs who don't know anything about keying.…They use cheap cameras that compress the image data…introducing artifacts,…plus they leave the in camera sharpening on,…which introduces yet another artifact.…However, regardless of how badly the video was shot,…the nice client expects you to pull great keys.…So let's take a look at these sharpening artifacts…and these chroma subsampling artifacts,…so we can understand first of all what's going on.…
So I wanna start here with this little image,…and what we wanna do is submit this…to some sharpening to see what happens.…Now the first piece of bad news is…there is no such thing as sharpening.…All the sharpening kernels do,…there we go, is introduce increased contrast at the edges.…Look at this, here's my light area and my dark area.…The light area picked up a light row of pixels…to exaggerate this edge, the dark area got dark pixels.…
So there really is no sharpening.…Now these light and dark edge pixels…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nukewith Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
NUKE Compositing: Sci-Fi Force Fieldwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.