Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video How to add more hair detail, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] This chapter is about solutions…to special keying problems such as…fine hair detail, motion blur, reflections…and even working with bad video.…Each video focuses on one type of keying problem…and provides solutions that you can use for your comps.…Our first video is about keying hair.…Fine hair detail can be a problem to key…because it's largely semi-transparent.…Not only can the keyer miss it, but it's also…close to the grain in size so it can get…clobbered with degraining operations.…Here we'll look at several solutions…to this common keying problem.…
We'll start up here with our read node…because we're doing our denoise here…and the important point is first of all…that you make sure you set the source for digital or fill.…This is a digital camera so we'll use digital.…Next, and this is most important,…you make sure that the denoise amount…has been dialed down to the minimum amount,…okay, don't leave it at the default of 1.0.…Remember, the more denoise, the less hair detail.…So let's clear that and take a look…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.