Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video How to QA your comp, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] To stay employed as a compositor,…you need to be able to find the defects in your comps…before your comp supervisor or the nice client.…Here we'll walk through a checklist…that you should run on all your shots…before submitting them for review.…Now what I've got here is a very simple comp,…just key light, a little green screen,…and a background.…So because it's a nice simple comp,…there's lots of issues.…OK, so first,…one of the things we want to check for first is…color correction.…
Again, you want to check with your…luminance version.…We want to check with gamma slammer way up high.…Check for black points.…Make your black point on the foreground…and a black point on the background.…Make sure that they're happy.…And in gamma slammer down,…checking for any super whites or bright spots,…make sure they're in the ballpark too.…And again, do your gamma.…So once you've got your luminance sorted out,…then you worry about color…and make sure that your color looks good,…or not too red, too green, or anything like that.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.