Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video The Grade node vs. the ColorCorrect node, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] While the Grade node…and the ColorCorrect node can both be used…for color correction and they do share some operations,…the Grade node is designed to color grade film scans…while the ColorCorrect node…is designed to match the layers of a composite.…So let's take a look at their differences.…I'm gonna open up Mr. ColorCorrect here…and compare that to Mr. Grade node there.…Now, they do share…Gamma, Offset and Gain.…
Gamma, Offset and Gain…but of course, they've also got some major differences.…The ColorCorrect node of course has different ranges,…Shadow, Midtones and Highlights.…Also, operations like Saturation and Contrast…which the Grade node does not have…but the Grade node has the Blackpoint and Whitepoint…which of course the ColorCorrect node doesn't have.…So again, the Grade node is designed…to color grade film scans…while the ColorCorrect node…is designed to color grade the layers of a composite,…gives you more ability to match in more different ways.…
So let's take a look at a color grade operation.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.