Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Good (and bad) tracking markers, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Lecturer] To begin our discussion…on tracking markers removal, I thought it would be helpful…to get an idea of what good tracking markers look like.…You'll never know, one day you might be in charge…of the tracking markers on set so you'll want to know…the good, the bad, and the ugly.…So starting with this one, one of the good things about this…is that the tracking markers are different shapes.…If tracking markers are all the same shape…like all little Xs, the trackers can actually hop…from marker to marker and get confused.…
So we got plenty of angles to lock on to.…Also, there's lots of them so if we're here for a closeup…there's still plenty of markers in frame.…Now, ideally you set the number of markers…on the backing region for each shot…but that may not be practical in a case like this.…We have a green psyche,…we were shooting lots of stuff all day long.…Some closeup, some wide…so we put lots of markers everywhere.…Now the down side to having lots of markers…is they have to be removed.…
And the problem becomes…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.