Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Extra special keying techniques for fire, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Voiceover] Keying fire often results in…dark edges or semi-transparent fire.…The fundamental problem with keying fire is…that the luminas of the fire is…not always the same as its opacity.…Here, we'll see how to key and control…the look of a fire composite.…We'll start with a standard lumakey approach right here.…I'll stop my play head, jump to frame one.…Starting with our fire plate,…which is going to be fire over black,…we have a lumakey here, and there's our alpha channel,…and pass that through a grade node…so I can dial in my color,…and then comp that over the background.…
This is sort of a classic workflow right here.…If I try to increase the density of my alpha channel,…I start to introduce those nasty, dark edges.…It looks very unnatural.…If I go the other way,…I start introducing semi-transparent fire,…and that doesn't look very good, either.…I also lose the saturation around the edges.…See how poopy those reds look?…All right, so a more sophisticated solution is…the customized composite, where we separate out…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.