Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Easy ways to synthesize shadows, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] Sometimes a green screen plate…has no usable shadow, so you will have to make one.…Before you get out your roto tools, you might try this gag,…where we create a shadow from the…key character's alpha channel.…Let's talk about creating shadows,…and what we have to look out for.…When you're making shadows,…you have to match the density of the shadow.…Now, you can get that by looking around…to see if there are other shadows…that you can match the density.…And of course, color.…Shadows are not necessarily gray.…
They might have a bluish, or a reddish cast to them,…so again, you can pick up hints…from other shadows in the scene.…The direction.…Sometimes there is obvious light sources…that you would use as a key,…or you might be able to match the direction…from something else in the scene.…In this particular case, we had neither,…so what I did was, I looked at the fact…that this part of the floor was hotter than over here,…so that meant that the light source was somewhere up here,…so throwing his shadow like that.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.