Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Discovering NUKE's hidden chroma keyer, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] The chromakeyer combines hue,…saturation, and brightness keys into a single keyer.…The idea is to constrain the keyer…to a specific hue, saturation, and brightness…in order to isolate the target.…So a chromakeyer is very useful,…but you won't find one in NUKE,…because it's actually hidden inside the HSVTool.…I'll show you what I mean.…I'm gonna select this picture here,…go up to the Color tab.…Come on down to the HSVTool.…
Now, it's designed to replace colors using HSV selection.…So if we go to the eyedropper for the source color.…Let me sample this red building.…Then we come to the destination color,…and I can either pick a color or…pick one from the color-picker here.…And I have done a color replacement,…which is exactly what the HSVTool was designed to do.…Now, I seem to have also colored my poor people,…which is why the HSVTool has a whole bunch…of other adjustments here,…so that we can go in and refine the key,…so we only hit the area we want.…
Okay well, that's what the Foundry…had in mind with the HSVTool,…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.