Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating an uber key, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] The idea behind the uberkey…is to create one single master key…that's made up from several separate keys,…each optimized for their part of the key.…For example, one for the head, another for the torso,…and a third for the legs.…You might use a different keyer for each part,…or the same keyer with just different adjustments.…Whatever gives you the best key for the area of interest.…So, here's an overview of the uberkey workflow.…Starting back up here at the top is our green screen,…and of course our obligatory de-grained and de-noise.…
Let's push in a little bit.…So, I have three keyers here.…This first one is optimized for a best torso,…so it's gonna give me my best key for this area.…This keyer is optimized for the head,…and yet a third keyer, which gives me my best legs key.…The next step is to isolate and merge.…So, starting here with our best head key,…we've got a rotoshape drawn around the head there.…
Now, the keymix node will combine…the best head with the best torso,…and we'll get that right here.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.