Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating core mattes for solid keys, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] Keying is all about the edges.…Always adjust the keyer for best edges and…don't worry about the core of the key…because the core is much easier to fix than the edges.…So let's assume you've pulled your very best key…but there are holes or thin spots that the keyer…cannot get out.…We can fix these using procedural techniques,…rotos, or a combination of both.…So let's cruise in here and take a look at what we've got.…This is our clip…and a couple of issues here.…Of course, first of all…we're shooting blue-eyed lovelies on a blue screen…so there's trouble.…
Then, somebody thought it would be clever to put…this lovely blue kick on the top of their hair here…the side of their head…over here and the nose…which of course is going to be more trouble…for our blue screen key.…So cruising passed our denoise, we come on down here…and we'll pull our main key.…So let's pretend that this is our final key and we need to…plug up all these holes.…Starting with the simplest solution, we'll add a roto.…
Now the key issues with the roto are that at no time…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.