Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Color match keyed layers workflow, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Male Narrator] When compositing the layers of a…green screen or blue screen shot,…it's essential that the layers be color-corrected…to appear to be in the same light space.…Having a methodical procedure will improve…your speed and accuracy at color correcting,…and it'll also make it a heck of a lot easier.…The first step is to match the tone scale,…that is the luminence, then dial in the color.…So I'm going to select this read node…where my ladies are, and add a grade node.…I'm using a grade node instead of a color-correct node…because it's a heck of a lot simpler.…So note that my ladies are already keyed,…premultiplied, and spill-suppressed,…so we're ready to comp.…
Which reminds me that they're premultiplied, which means,…let's go to our merge node here,…if I open up the read node,…I'm gonna push in to the edge of my ladies.…I needed to turn on the premultiplied button…in the read node.…Watch what happens if I don't.…Look at my edges. Nasty.…Good. Okay, so because they are premultiplied,…even though they're not CG,…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.